Computer Tools and Techniques
From GIS CS4
Revision as of 20:23, 14 May 2015 by Adrianol
Creating Bootable USB Memory Stick
UBuntu Only USB
Dealing With A Dead Computer
- GRC's SpinRite
- Boot Linux from USB
VirtualBox - running 'Virtual Computers' on your computer
- Download VirtualBox Installer
- Install VirtualBox
- Once installed, launch VirtualBox - go to Perferences/Settings, select 'Extensions'
- Download VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
- Install Oracle Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
- From VirtualBox Manager, select 'New'
- Provide some meaningful name 'My First VM'
- Change Type to 'Linux'
- Change Version to 'Ubuntu (32-bit)' (or UBuntu (64-bit) if appropriate)
- Follow instructions (default is good).
Install Local WebServer
Creating A More Secure Public WIFI Access Point
- Enable WIFI Client Isolation (http://www.wirelessisolation.com/)
- Force DNS Server to OpenDNS (22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 - https://www.opendns.com/)
- Configure Firewall for all traffic from WIFI as follows:
- Disable ALL local network access (including router)
- ONLY allow following outgoing ports:
- Redirect traffic to itself for following ports:
- Disable ALL other TCP ports
- Disable ALL UDP ports
- Normal Internet usages (Web Browsing, EMail) only makes use of TCP which is a stateful protocol - it ensures that both ends are real IP addresses. Normal Internet does NOT use UDP which is a state-less protocol - a sender can fake their address, and therefore is often used maliciously. Therefore it is a good idea to completely disable all UDP traffic and to only access TCP.
- Optional - redirect all allowed traffic via VPN or via TOR